The #EndSARS protests which have engulfed almost all the major cities in the country, turned bloody Wednesday in Lagos and Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), according to reports.
The Nation reports that at least two people were feared dead, while many others were injured after a Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) ran into a crowd of #EndSARS protesters at Alagbado axis of Lagos state.
In a video clip that has gone viral, some youths were spotted carrying two bodies while a volunteer of medical corps was deployed to take care of the wounded around Amikanle area.
Those who sustained severe injuries were moved to a hospital.
According to eyewitnesses, the SUV driven by an unidentified driver deliberately ran into the protesters in a bid to scare them off the road.
Armed thugs attack Abuja #EndSARS protesters, destroy cars.
Meanwhile, some suspected thugs reportedly attacked people protesting against the harassment and brutality of Nigerians by the operatives of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Abuja.
The thugs, who were armed with cutlasses, invaded the protest venue at Berger junction about an hour after the #EndSARS protesters had convened.
It was learnt that the thugs harassed the protesters, including passers-by, destroying vehicles parked in the area.
Recall that sequel to the disbandment of the notorious SARS, the Inspector General of Police, Adamu Mohammed, set up a new unit tagged Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT).
Though #EndSTARS protesters are still demanding that the new unit should also be scrapped, the police have gone ahead to release some major facts about SWAT.
The new information was released by police spokesperson, Frank Mba, on Wednesday, October 14.
Below are the five key facts about SWAT:
1. No personnel of the defunct SARS will be selected to be part of the new police unit
2. Operations of the new police unit will be strictly intelligence-driven
3. Members of the new team will not embark on routine patrols. They are also barred from indiscriminate and unlawful search of phones, laptops and other smart devices.
5. Operatives of the new police unit will also be free of any pending disciplinary matter especially those touching on misuse of firearms and abuse of human rights.
The police also released four major mandates of the new tactical team. This includes:
1. The police unit is strictly restricted to response to robbery attacks
2. Members of the new unit are also strictly to respond to scenes of weapon-related crimes
3. Rescue operations are also part of their duty.
4. The last task assigned to them includes special operations involving high profile criminals.
In another report, the police command in Lagos claimed that no EndSARS protester was killed in the state contrary to reports that have already gone viral in the media.
The Lagos state Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, made the disclosure during his conversation with protesters most of whom were lawyers on Tuesday, October 13.
Odumosu, however, said that what policemen have done so far was to protect protesters from hoodlums who tried to take advantage of the situation.
The police commissioner explained that stray bullets hit and killed a driver and a policeman in the Surulere part of the state.